I served in the United States Navy from January 1986 to February 1990 as a Cryptologic Technician Operator (CTO). In plain English, that translates to a lot of high-tech intelligence-related technical duties.
I was responsible for circuit and equipment performance, operating teletype and controlling crypto, modem, multiplexer, ancillary, test and analysis equipment. I also restored failing and inoperative circuits. In addition, I was responsible for the preparation, transmission, relay and receipt of on/off-line messages, and I provided reliable wideband and narrowband secure voice for message trafficking.
I held a Top Secret (and above) Security Clearance via a Special Background Investigation by the Naval Investigative Service.
- Naval Communication Unit, London, England
- USS Comte De Grasse (DD-974), Norfolk, Virginia
- CINCLANTFLT, Norfolk, Virginia
- NTTC Corry Station, Pensacola, Florida
- Recruit Training Camp, Orlando, Florida
Military Points of Interest
- Service Time: January 1986 to February 1990
- Received Honorable Discharge (DD-214 Available)
- Left Military Service to Return to College
- Rank at Time of Discharge: Petty Officer
- Good Conduct Award
- Two Overseas Duty Ribbons
- Letter of Accommodation from the Commanding Officer, USS Comte de Grasse (DD-974)
- Letter of Accommodation from the Deputy Chief of Staff, Intelligence, CINCUSNAVEUR London
- Letter of Accommodation from the Commander Chief, U.S. Naval Forces, Europe