In the fall of 2003, with the significant help of many friends, I was able to plan, create, and launch The Writer's Loft, a low-residency certificate in creative writing at Middle Tennessee State University. The Loft is structured as a three semester, stand-alone program for the nontraditional student who wishes to develop as a writer, but is not interested, or cannot attend a traditional degreed writing program. (It's now known as MTSU Write, and I am no longer associated with the program, but it is still as strong as ever!)
I managed and directed a team of as many as eight mentors (professors) in four states. This program required me to build and maintain strong relationships with area writers, editors, literary agents, and bookstore/library personnel as I planned the program's orientation weekend (semester kick off event), created and implemented panel discussions/public readings each year, and organized and implemented other features.
- Edited and produced the Fall 03, Spring 04, Fall 04, Summer 05, and Summer 06 issues of The Trunk, the official journal for The Writer's Loft.
- January 2006, I traveled to Paris, the result of which was the Shakespeare and Company bookshop making The Trunk available to its patrons starting with the Fall 2004 issue.
- In July of 2005, I created a week-long summer writing sabbatical at MTSU. Student received a dorm room, the use of campus recreation facilities, and access to the campus library, as well as a free visit to the campus bookstore for writing supplies.
- Nominated for the Association of Writers & Writing Programs (AWP) George Garrett Award for Outstanding Service in Literature for the creation of the Writer's Loft certificate in creative writing program at MTSU.
Writing Samples from The Writer's Loft
- Summer 2006 Issue of Literary Journal
- The Writer's Loft: Spring 2005 Brochure
- The Writer's Loft: Generic Brochure
- Loft Promotional Radio Interview
- Writer's Loft Press Release
- Writer's Loft Press Release 2
- Spring 04 Loft Orientation
- Loft Full-Page Spring 04 Spread
- From Manuscript to Book
- Poetry & Creative Writing Workshops
- Making Money Making Fiction